22 Jun 2014

ON WRITING #1

A few weeks back, I posted a video on YouTube about my writing and I thought today I'd share that with you and discuss it a little bit more than I did in the video. Firstly, here's the video...



I'm going to go into each of the different styles of writing I talked about at a later date, but today I wanted to focus on one particular area that I mentioned. Script writing.

Like I said in the video, I'm currently working on a script with a couple friends of mine and while it's in the very early stages, I wanted to write this post about it to sort of document its growth. If it all goes well, eventually the project will have it's own Tumblr but until then! Also, Chami and I have been planning to expand our blog for a while now.

Anyway, back to the script. I think I should start by mentioning that I've dabble in scripts a little before now. I worked a few script adaptations for novels of mine back in the days of Script Frenzy, and a friend and I (interestingly, the co-creator of this one too) once wrote our own script for Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. Of course, we only wrote the script in the same year the actual movie was released. That's beside the point though.

None of these scripts really came down to anything. Sure, we filmed scenes for the first five minutes of TWTWB but nothing ever came of those. Those past projects considered, this one is going pretty well. It's a seven part miniseries which means it's slightly less work than a full length feature film, and (hopefully!) a little more in our budget.

Admittedly, we haven't written much yet. We've got one full episode done, but that's better than nothing, right? However, we've actually got the whole thing planned out (YAY for plots!) and people for each of the main characters. I'm not going to reveal too much about the plot in this post, but can I just say? It's pretty awesome, in my opinion.

This is just really an introductory post. The majority of this blog will still be about books, but every now and again I want to slip in some posts about writing too because those two things really go well together. In a month or two, once more episodes have been writing, I'm going to talk a bit more about my experiences and the difference between script writing and novel writing. I just want to highlight now that I'm not an expert by any means, but I thought it might be interesting to do.

Now it's your turn. Have you ever written a script? Maybe for fun, or for drama class or something? If you have, did you enjoy it? What were your favourites parts? etc. And if you haven't, do you write novels or short stories or poems? If you do, tell me about them!

I'll see you all next time!

4 comments:

  1. I've never written a script, but I looove writing. ;) I think scrips would be harder! I have no idea it even works. So good luck with all your writing and blog expansions too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really enjoy writing scripts, though novels will always be my favourite. I'm usually a very descriptive writer, so it's hard in that sense! Thank you Cait, and I wish you the best of luck with yours too.

      x Ely

      Delete
  2. I've never written a script but it does sound like heaps of fun! I'm more for the filming and editing though. I like the idea of bringing a story to life. :D I'm excited to find out more about your writing though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity you don't live down here, or you could have totally helped later on! Thank you, Laura.

      x Ely

      Delete