3 Jun 2014

Ten Books That Will Be In My 'Beach Bag' This 'Summer'

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and you can find more about this meme here. This week's list is ten books that will be in my beach bag this summer. Now, as you may be able to see- I put quotes around 'beach bag' and 'summer' in my title. This is for a couple of reasons.

(I just couldn't contain myself)

Number one, I live in Australia which means it's Winter here. Number two, contrary to popular belief...it's actually cold down here and so there's no way I'm going near a beach. So, this is kind of my 'Ten books that will be in my University bag if I wasn't on break from University for 6 weeks and will actually be in my University bag if I don't finish them over the break'. Got it? Good.

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
I like taking big books to University (that way I don't have to pick out a new book every two or so days) and I'm lucky in the sense that my copy is very light. Plus, this is one of the books on my 'Top 14 books I must read in 2014'. I'm hoping I can actually get through it during my break.

2. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien
This one's another one that is quite long that I need to get through. I read The Hobbit at the very start of 2013 and I just haven't gotten to this one yet. I think it's probably about time that I did.


3. The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
So this is one I'll probably never take to Uni because it's quite heavy, but it's another one I've been dying to get too. There's just something so Winter-y about this book- I think it might be the white covers.

 (This'll be me with The Final Empire in my bag)

4. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Basically, this list could also be entitled 'big books I really should have read but haven't yet, so please don't kill me'. I have a feeling this might be one of the ones that actually ends up in my University bag for next semester.

5. The Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier
If you've been around here a little, you've probably realised by now that I really, really love Daphne Du Maurier. I've read three of her books already - Rebecca, My Cousin Rachel and Jamaica Inn, and I just need another one. I think it's going to be this one!


6. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Agatha Christie is another writer whom I absolutely adore. I've read seven of her books already, so this one is going to be my 8th. Something about this one makes me think 'Winter'.

7. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Do I really need to say anything about this one? It has the word 'ice' in the series title...Also, I just really need to finish this!

8. Mishaps by Nansi Kunze
This one will actually be a re-read for me. As you might know, I love Nansi's books and I've written reviews for both of her other two so I think it's time for me to re-read this one and review it (AKA gush about how amazing it is).



9. Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle
I know this is technically a 'Christmas' read but I think it'll be the perfect book to read with a cup of tea and a blanket on a chilly Winter night or possibly in a corner at the University library.

10. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
I know all these other books have been Winter reads, but sometimes you just need to escape into a fun contemporary during the colder months. I've already got this one on hold at the library and I can't wait to pretend I'm on a nice beach somewhere reading it.

So this kind of turned into a TBR for Winter which I know is a topic in two weeks, but I'll be featuring different books on that list. Anyway, I'll see you next time!


10 comments:

  1. Yes! omg I just read the Fellowship of the Ring....took me a month. Although it was while I was studying for exams and SACs and in the middle of a hectic month....but I still managed to get through! Gong to have a break before I go on to the second one though...City of Heavenly Fire is calling....and Fangirl. :)
    xoxo Bookboyfriends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's going to be a slow one for me. And Renee, you'll love Fangirl!

      x Ely

      Delete
  2. I so want to read American Gods, but hehe...yes I'm scared of ginormous books too! It's weirdly NOT cold where I'm at. o.O I keep reminding myself it's June, but I'm still wearing a tee-shirt and shorts most days. *shrugs* Not complaining! If my part of Oz wants to skip winter BY ALL MEANS LET'S DO IT. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LUCKY! It's freezing down here. Do you think you could send some of your warm weather down here? Melbourne's decided that it is, in fact, winter.

      x Ely

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the winter thing even though I live on the Gold Coast. Agatha Christie is a pure delight with her characterisation. I think my favourite books would have to be The Man in the Brown Suit and The Blue Train, after Murder on the Orient Express of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a little bit warmer up there for you, isn't it? *is very jealous* Agatha Christie is amazing. I worship her!

      x Ely

      Delete
  4. A great list! As a big Tolkien geek I couldn't recommend The Fellowship of the Ring highly enough. It's a little difficult to get into but well worth it.
    P.S. I love your Gifs. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-that-will.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited for it! And I'll have to let you know how it goes. Thank you, Lois :)

      x Ely

      Delete
  5. I am super excited to read American Gods too...when I finally get around to it! I did get a copy at the library book sale recently though, so I'm getting closer. I am absolutely terrified to touch Anna Karenina though, so mad props to you for attempting it! LOL Awesome and impressive list.

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2014/06/top-ten-tuesday-19-beach-bag-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day, we'll get to American Gods! And maybe if I'm really lucky, I'll get through Anna Karenina one day!

      x Ely

      Delete