11 Dec 2014

DISCUSSION: Terminator Genisys Trailer



Most of you probably don’t know this about me, or maybe wouldn’t guess, but The Terminator Trilogy (I will continue to deny the existence of that fourth one) are most definitely my favourite films. It’s sort of become a tradition with my dad to re-watch them every few months, and we’ve reached that point in our obsession that we can quote all three movies word for word (also, my dad recently changed our answering to machine to ‘Ha la vista’.)

Anyway, the point of all this is that the series is being reinvented with a new film called ‘Terminator Genisys’. I just watched the trailer (a few times) and I decided I’d share my thoughts on it. I don’t know if this will interest any of you, but I’m going to do it anyway. 

 (Firstly, here's the trailer here in case you're interested.)

Firstly- the effects. The original came out in 1984 so as you can imagine the effects were pretty crap, but we finally have some large scale, modern effects. I’m glad to see that the mechanical skeleton thingy of the terminators still looks the same as in the original.

I like that we get to see Kyle Reese being sent back in the trailer – it’s not something we ever saw in the originals. I don’t think the guy who plays him in this version is as attractive as the original, but maybe I’m biased. It’s also interesting to see some familiar scenes from the original before everything changes.

 (Not the world's best picture of Kyle Reese, but you get the point)

So Sarah Connor, let’s talk about her. Now in the originals, she’s already pretty damn badass but in this…just damn. I’m sure you all know how much I love my strong female characters and who could be better for the role than Emilia Clarke (Daenerys from Game of Thrones)? Also, I really like how she doesn’t look stunningly beautiful in the trailer – she actually looks like she’s been through hell so yay for the make-up department! As much as I love Linda Hamilton, I can’t say I’m sad to see that 80’s hairstyle go.

I love how it includes aspects of the original films – the Terminator guy from the second movie with his super metallic body that terrified me when I was younger, Judgement Day etc. And Arnold. How could I forgot Arnold? I have to say, he’s looking reallllllly old now (granted, he is almost 70.)

Basically, I’m not feeling too terrified by this new movie. I know it could still turn out to be terrible, but I’m still interested to see it.

That’s my post for today! I’ll be back tomorrow with the usual bookish stuff.