14 Dec 2014

Writing Styles



Last month I participated in, and won, NaNoWriMo. I wrote the first 50,000 words of my novel ‘Tied Together’ which I think it’s probably going to be about 100,000 words in total. Anyway, after November ended I decided I needed a break from that story and started a new novel.


I’ve been working on both Tied Together and this new novel, which is currently being referred to as ‘Megan’ (my main characters’ name) for several years now but I’ve never really written them- not the extent that I am now. They’ve both changed drastically over time and they’ve kind of become opposites to one another.

For example, Tied Together is a novel set in Copenhagen, Denmark about a girl named Coralie and her family and friends. There are some magical elements to the story as well, but it really is a novel about friendship, family and even a little bit of romance. Basically, where I’m going with this is that it’s a very light story, it’s a feel good story in the end.

‘Megan’, on the other hand, is about Megan Hill – the coldest, most manipulative, just generally horrible, main character that I have ever written. She doesn’t really have any friends or family, nor does she want any. Her story is about how ambition can tear you apart, and there is definitely not a happy ending.

Do you see what I mean?

I wanted to write this post because I’ve been talking with two of my friends, who are both writers as well, about the difference in writing style and tone in our own novels. In general, my novels usually are more like Tied Together – I like focusing on the positives in life, but I’m really enjoying writing Megan just because it’s so different.

My question for you guys is, do you notice a difference in style in your own writing or do you tend to lean towards the same sort of tone? I’m really interested to see what all of you have to say. Also, I’m looking for a critique partner/group if anyone is interested.