3 Apr 2014

UPDATE: Current Reads #2

Hello everyone! It's that time of the week again when I update of some of the books I've finished recently, the ones I'm currently reading and some of the ones I hope to read next! This has basically become my replacement of a monthly TBR, at least for now. So, let's get started.


Recent reads
In last weeks post, I was reading 5 books, I managed to finish 3 of them and read 3 others.
The first one I finished was Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. I  rated it two stars- I really did not enjoy it very much. I had such high hopes for it, but I was very disappointed.
The second book I finished was The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness. OH MY GAWD. I don't think I even begin to describe this trilogy, just GAH. (And yes, I rated it 5 stars)
On Monday, I started and finished three books- Number One was When We Wake by Karen Healey. I'm going to have a full review of this up soon, but for now I'll just say that I really liked it!
Number two was Embrace by Jessica Shrivington. I just...CAN'T EVEN. (There will be a proper review for this too).
Number three was Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel by Leigh Dragoon. I liked this, not nearly as much as the original book, of course.
I also finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I had finished the actual novella last week, but I was working through the 400 pages of critical analysis for my class.


Current reads
Technically, I'm currently reading 6 books. I say technically, because I'm only actively reading one and the other five are sort of 'on-again, off-again' books.
So the one I'm actively reading is Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. I'm reading my way through a bunch of Holocaust books for an upcoming post, and this is one of them. I'm 86 pages in so far.
The next one I'm currently reading is Dead Silence by Kimberley Derting. I only just started this one, but I didn't really have much motivation to keep reading. I'm on page 24 at the moment.
I'm also reading two books from my University library, I only really read these ones at Uni between my classes, but they are- The Warlock's Shadow by Stephen Deas and Eyeless in Gaza by Aldous Huxley. I'm on pages 16 and 56, respectively.
I'm still working my way through The Mystery Tomb by Eva Pohler. And what I mean by 'still working' is my mum still has my e-reader with the book on and she's currently reading it. I still haven't got it back yet.
Finally, another Holocaust/WWII book I'm reading is Resistance by Owen Shears. At the moment, I'm only 26 pages in.


Goals
Since my update last week, I went to the library and borrowed about 14 books because I have no self-control so obviously I need to read some of those. So, these are some of the books I'd like to at least start by next week...
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness, While We Run by Karen Healey, The Gospel of Loki by Joanna M. Harris, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby: The Graphic Novel by Nicki Greenberg, Just_a_girl by Kirsten Krauth, Frostbite by Richelle Mead (re-read).
I know there's no possible way for me to get through all of these plus the ones I'm already reading, but I'd like to see how far I can get.

I'll see you all next time!


4 comments:

  1. HOW DO YOU READ SO MANY BOOKS?!!

    I remember reading Briar Rose in elementary school for summer reading, and I didn't really understand any of it. Maybe I'll go back and read it. And wow 14 books, is that even allowed? I can't wait until the summer when I can drive to the library whenever I want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T EVEN KNOW!!

      I finished it a few hours ago, I really enjoyed. Though it says it's for like 10-13 year olds, I think it's probably more YA. Apparently yes, and that's not even the limit (I wish it was). Libraries are actually the best thing ever...

      Delete
  2. I have zero self-control when it comes to the library as well. ;) Gah! IT'S JUST SO TEMPTING. All the books call me. *ahem* But I actually only have 5 books borrowed out from the library at the moment, so I'm very proud. :)) Cruel Beauty is kind of on my really-want-to-desperately-read list, but I haven't managed to get my grimy mitts on a copy yet. I've heard it's a bit confusing? I'm deadly curious, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! I'm not alone :) There are some many good books, I just can't help myself. Cruel Beauty...is, well, I found it very predictable and boring. I honestly just skimmed the last one hundred pages or so, I just couldn't be bothered. Of course, you might have different opinions but those were my thoughts!

      Delete