30 Jan 2015

BOOK SHAME #3

Book Shame is a monthly post here on A Book So Fathomless where I pick out four books from my TBR jar, talk about them and then challenge myself to read them before the next post.

Firstly, I'm going to talk about the four that I challenged myself to read last month.

I didn't get to Wuthering Heights or The Lady in the Lake, so I've decided that those will go back in the jar for another month. I read the first 41 pages of Seraphina and then decided to DNF it - I'm going to count that as a success because it did take the book off my TBR. Finally, I finished The House of Silk even though it took me two weeks to read.

Now that's done, let's see which books I'll be reading (hopefully) in February.

1. Rags and Bones edited by Melissa Marr and Tim Pratt
This is an anthology of fairytale retellings by mostly YA authors (I believe) so it should be pretty easy to get through. I know this features a story by Neil Gaiman which is the only reason I bought this book in the first place.

2. Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution by James Tipton
I bought this one for $5 quite a while ago, but I love me some French Revolution books. I have no idea what this is about otherwise.

3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Nope, I haven't read this one yet. I have actually started it before, I think I got about 60 pages in but I put it down. I want to love this because it's partly set in Wales and I'm studying there in the second half of the year, but I don't know if I will.

4. The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie
I've desperately wanted to read another Christie recently but I own so many of them that I didn't know which to choose. I haven't heard a lot about this one, but it's Christie so I'm sure I'll love it.

I think I've got a good selection here. I'm really happy that three out of the four are adult rather than YA and that none of them are contemporary. (I'll be reading lots of contemporary for #Bookentine.) Hopefully I can get all of these read in February! Let me know if you've read any of them.