1 Jul 2014

Top Ten Classics I Want To Read


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and you can find more about this meme here. This week is the top ten classics I want to read. There were so many different options for this week, but I decided to just go with the easy choice.

1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
I know a lot of people who say they hate this book with a fiery passion, but I want to read it and decide for myself. Plus, I'm (very) slowly making my way through the Bronte sisters, which brings me nicely onto number two...

2. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
Anne is usually the forgotten Bronte sister, but I've heard a lot of people say that this is their favourite Bronte novel. I have a really beautiful Penguin English Library edition of this that's just begging to be read.

3. On The Road by Jack Kerouac
I only just bought myself a copy of this on the weekend, but I'm super massively excited to read it. I don't really know a whole lot about it, but I want to keep it that way for now!

4. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
So...I've never read an Austen. I KNOW! I know Pride and Prejudice is a lot of people's favourite work of Austen, but I've already started Northanger Abbey so I'd like to finish that one before starting another.

5. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I know this is another terrible one to have not read, at least I don't think I've read it. I have this memory of the first couple of lines from reading it as a child but I can't remember if I ever finished it. I absolutely adored the movie when I was younger, so I think I'm going to love the book too!

6. Middlemarch by George Eliot
This is an absolutely massive book, but I'm desperate to read it one day. I've got a beautiful copy of this one too and I'm excited to read it, it's just actually getting to it that's the problem!

7. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
This one is the same as The Secret Garden, I can't remember if I read the first book when I was younger. I'm hoping to get through the entire series, because from what I remember I really loved the story.

8. Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
I've read a few of Orwell's books now, but this is one that I've been excited for ever since I heard about it two years ago. I want to read this one so badly but I just haven't gotten to it yet, why? I have no idea.

9. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
I absolutely adore Breakfast at Tiffany's, so I'm desperate to read more Capote. Also, this is one of the only classics that Chami has actual read and even more shockingly, she liked it.

10. Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
This was another movie I loved as a child. I can remember being depressing as all hell, but I can remember loving it nonetheless. There was something in this story that just spoke to me, and I can't wait to experience it again. Interestingly, literally just after I wrote this one down I decided to pick it up and try reading it!

So that's just a few of the hundreds of classics that I'd like to read. I tried to choose ones I haven't really talked about on here before instead of continuing to show the same books every time. Let me know if you've read any of these!


3 comments:

  1. Anne of Green Gables was my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavourite thing of EVER when I was about eight. I haven't read it since. But it's on my Classics Club list, so I'll be rereading it at some point in the next few years! I LOVE Northanger Abbey. It's so snarky towards Gothic novels that you can't help but adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a gorgeous copy of Middlemarch today, pink with cameo faces on it. I read Adam Bede last month and it's such an amazing book, I love George Eliot!

    I had Anne of Green Gables, and the next two or three in the series, read to me when I was younger but I'm going to start them again, next week is the plan in fact, and read them all.

    I've not read Northanger Abbey yet but I've read Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Sense and Sensibility. SO MUCH LOVE for Jane Austen, you have so much in store to love! :D

    Great post, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So other than 3 of these, I don't know any of these classics! Though I've always been wanting to read Anne of Green Gables!

    ReplyDelete