7 Jul 2014

ON WRITING #2

I know in my last post I said I talk a bit more about my other writing things at some point. That point isn't today. I promise I will actually get to it someday soon, maybe next time? We'll have to see what's going on.

So, I'm talking more about the script today. We've slowly been building on it. Last time, we only had one episode written and now we have episode two written as well as a few odd scenes from other episodes. In case you don't remember, or you didn't read the first post, I'm writing this script with a few friends, it's seven episodes long and we're hoping to make it into a webseries.

Episode two was a lot harder to write than the first one. We have five main characters and each episode focuses on one of them (kind of like Skins, if you've seen that). The first episode was just an introduction to everyone, but this one was focused on the first character- Skyla. Skyla is a fun character to write, she's a badass and has multiple rants within this episode alone, but she is not my character. It's one thing to write the dialogue of someone's else character, but it's hard to get into their heads especially when you've already got someone for the character. I was lucky in the sense that because this is a group writing project, 'Skyla' got to write her own parts and I didn't have to struggle with trying to get into my friend's mind. She's very much Skyla, and I'm really not.

I think I'm going to have to explain a bit more about the structure of our script before I can go on. The script is split into two parts, a before and after, if you will. The before parts are really just about the one character, and the after parts are about everyone. That might not make sense without you knowing the plot, but just bare with. To put it basically, it's a survival/apocalypse sort of story. I know that probably sounds like a lot of work to you all, and it is but it's also a lot of fun.

At the moment, a lot of the writing has mostly done by the three girls- which is me and my two friends, Sarah and Mel. We realised that we've kind of made the script a bit more...girly. Okay, so 'girly' isn't the right word, it's more pro-female than anything. The two guys in our script are the weak ones, at least in the first few episodes but even after the guys 'man up', the girls are still more kickass. You might know, I really, really, really love strong female characters and I don't mean physically strong. All three female characters in this script are strong, mainly mentally though Skyla is a bit more actually kickass than the other two (so far!). I can't even begin to describe how much I love that, and so do my Sarah and Mel. There's something so awesome about writing these characters like this.

I think we probably had far too much fun writing episode 2 and planning for the rest of the season. I decided to take some screencaps of the lovely things we said along the way. I said most of them, mainly because a lot of the awesome things Sarah said happened during the 53 minute phone call we had and I so wish I could have shared that with you because we were having a major freakout. It was beautiful. Anyway, THINGS!

Sarah and I decided episode 2 would end on a cliffhanger, in the literal sense. Yes, someone is hanging off a cliff. But then, we had to decide who!
This was an actual message I had to send out to our group. (I blurred people's names for privacy, so ignore that).
Then while we were decided who was going off the cliff, Sarah decided to surprise me with her epicness and serious badass-ness. I felt like I had to document the moment on Twitter. If you aren't already, you should follow me (and Sarah) on Twitter cause we're incredibly entertaining.

I had another picture I wanted to include but it's got a massive spoiler in it, so I'll have to save that one for a little later. I mean, even the person playing the character doesn't know about this spoiler yet!

There you go! A little update into more of writing. Okay, so it's not little at all but you get what I mean. I'm going to try and make my next writing post about something other than this script, and then hopefully I can put a couple of episodes into the one post for the time after that! I hope you enjoyed this, as always, let me know what you're writing in the comments whether it be a novel, a review or a blog post! See you next time.