3 Apr 2015

REVIEW: All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry


Title: All the Truth That's In Me
Author: Julie Berry
Genre: Young Adult, Historical.
Publication Date: April 1st 2014
Publisher: Templar Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 272
Rating: 4/5
Book Depository



Speak meets  The Scarlet Letter in this literary masterpiece, the recipient of five starred reviews and nominated for the 2014 Edgar Award

Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family.   Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who's owned her heart as long as she can remember--even if he doesn't know it--her childhood friend, Lucas.   But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever.

The first book I read this year was Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, which I absolutely adored. I was fangirling about it to Michelle and recommend this book to me because she thought it had the same feel about it as Burial Rites did. Michelle and I have pretty much all the same opinions on books so this one instantly got bumped up my list. Luckily for me, Michelle lent me her copy so I didn’t have to feel guilty about buying it.

Firstly, she was absolutely right, it definitely reminded me of Burial Rites. The stories are quite different – different times, different situations, different countries, but I think the writing was very similar. The style is absolutely beautiful, I think it’s even more so because of the horrible story. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a story about a girl named Judith who disappeared with her friend a few years ago and then returned, her tongue cut out. As you can guess, it’s not really a pretty story but it was incredibly meaningful.

This is historical fiction, but there are elements of the story that are still relevant to now. Judith isn’t able to speak and so her town and her own family mistreat her. As much as it saddens me to say, people are still treated like that even today. I like in that sense this book really does a great job, it shows that everyone has the right to speak up and to be heard no matter what.

Another unique thing about this book is that it’s written as if you are the love interest. For example, it’ll say things like ‘You walked past’ but it’s all from Judith’s perspective as if you were reading a diary or letter addressed to you. I don’t know if my explanation made any sense, but just believe me when I say it’s really well done.


So if you’re a fan of Burial Rites or if you just like unique historical YA, definitely give this book a go. Similarly, if you’re a fan of this then I totally recommend Burial Rites.