27 Jun 2013

REVIEW: Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson



Title: Scarlett Fever (Scarlett #2)
Author: Maureen Johnson
Publication Date: Febuary 1st 2011
Publisher: Point
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 332
Rating: 4/5
Blurb:
From top-selling author Maureen Johnson comes the second book in the trilogy about a girl and her hotel.

Ever since Mrs. Amberson, the former-aspiring-actress-turned-agent, entered Scarlett Martin's life, nothing has been the same.

She's still in charge of the Empire Suite in her family's hotel, but she's now also Mrs. Amberson's assistant, running around town for her star client, Chelsea - a Broadway star Scarlett's age with a knack for making her feel insignificant.

Scarlett's also trying to juggle sophomore year classes, her lab partner who is being just a little TOO nice, and getting over the boy who broke her heart.
Review: Maureen Johnson is a goddess. No, really- she is like the goddess of funny contemporary young adult novels or something. She is just brilliant. Needless to say, I was really excited about getting the chance to read Scarlett Fever. I’d been looking for this book ever since I finished the first one- I literally checked every single library and bookshop that I could find until I finally managed to find this one. The first book in this trilogy, Suite Scarlett, was amazing and perhaps one of my absolute favourite contemporaries ever so you can just imagine how exciting a sequel would be.

Unfortunately, I was a little bit disappointed by this book. I still loved the majority of the returning characters- Spencer still remains as one of my favourites and I also really liked the addition of some of the news characters, mainly Max and Chelsea- I found both of them to be interesting in different ways and I’m looking forward to seeing where they go in the third book. I still enjoyed the plot of the book, I still find Scarlett ridiculously funny and I genuinely enjoy reading about everything that is happening to her. However, what bought this book down for me were a couple of things. One, I feel like the hotel and all the problems included with that from the first book were sort of put on the backburner a bit. While I didn’t want the entire book to be about those problems and nothing else, I felt like it deserved to be mentioned a few more times than it was- just to add to pressures put on the Martin family. Two, Eric. In the first book, I was all for Eric but by this one, I’ve become a bit sick of him. It actually annoyed me that Scarlett was so hung up about him when I would have been quite happy for him to fade out of Scarlett’s life for a little bit longer than he did. I know that Eric is an important character as it shows Scarlett’s growth as a character, but in a way I feel protective of Scarlett and I can only hope that she doesn’t end up with him in the next book!

Originally, I had rated this book as three out of five but as I wrote this review, I realised how much I actually enjoyed this book which made me bump it up to a four star review. Now, all I can do is sit around and wait for the third and final book to be released, something tells me that it is going to be amazing.