8 Jun 2013

REVIEW: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell



Title: The Carrie Diaries (The Carries Diaries #1)
Author: Candace Bushnell
Publication Date: December 26th 2012
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Format: Paperback
Pages: 389
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: 
This #1 New York Times bestselling prequel to Sex and the City is now a CW TV series!

The Carrie Diaries is the coming-of-age story of Carrie Bradshaw, one of the most iconic characters of New York City and our generation.

Before Sex and the City, Carrie was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school.

Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.

With an unforgettable cast of characters, The Carrie Diaries is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Readers will learn about her family background, how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.
Review: As the summary says up there, The Carrie Diaries has been made into a TV series by the CW and I would be totally lying if I said that the trailer of said TV series wasn’t the primary reason as to why I picked this book up. AnnaSophia Robb? Austin Butler? But most important, Freema Agyeman? (Not even going to hide by Whovian-ness) The trailer looked amazing and so this book became part of the massive TBR pile that is my life.

I’d never read or seen Sex and the City so I knew next to absolutely nothing about Carrie Bradshaw at all but that wasn’t going to stop me from enjoying this book. There were many things I liked about this book- I liked that it was fun and quick, I didn’t really have to think to hard about what was going to happen and why, instead I was able to just breeze through it and enjoy myself while doing that. I also really liked the writing side of the book, as in Carrie’s writing, as a wannabee writer myself, I felt like I was really able to connect to the struggles Carrie was going through in high school, with her friends and with her writing.

This being said, I found certain parts of the book to be just a little too predictable or ridiculous for my liking. I wasn’t really a fan of Sebastian Kydd, or him and Carrie together. Those moments made me want to reach into the book and strangle Carrie a few times, but I managed to refrain- well that and I can’t actually strangle a fictional character.

Sometime in the near future I will do a full scale book to television adaptation post, but I’ll leave that until I catch up on all of the episodes. I will however mention that there are parts of the television series that I much prefer- Sebastian for one, he is much less of a dickhead in the show (or at least I think so), but I also like how the relationship between Carrie and him is set out- I thought it was much more realistic, I’m only hoping it doesn’t end up going down the same road as the book.