7 Nov 2014

Top Five Books To Read In The Holidays

Today, we are teaming up with Bookworld to bring you a post on our top five favourite books to read in the lead up to the holidays. If you don’t already own these books (or maybe you’re just looking for an early Christmas present for yourself), you should head over to Bookworld so you can spoil yourself! Without further ado, let’s get onto the post.



I’ve always found that the days leading up to the holidays are best spent reading some wacked up book with crazy world building and quirky characters. After all, you did just spend months with school or work and what better way is there to prepare yourself for holidays then letting your mind go crazy.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY by RICHELLE MEAD
So if you have read Vampire Academy or are one of the odd few who haven’t, then now is the time to read it again or for the first time! I really have no words for it and I haven’t really met someone who hasn’t enjoyed the whole series. One of the best things is that you don’t have to wait for all the Vampire Academy books to come out as they all have already been released. You can just constantly feed your obsession every second of the day until it is done. It is a good option to go with if you’re not ready to go into epic fantasy or hardcore dystopian. It has just the right level of realistic and fantastical elements in it that you won’t feel totally jolted going into the holidays! If you are put off by this book just because of “Vampire” in its title, then I will personally kill you. In this series, Vampires are a culture so please don’t discriminate before you read it. Give it at least two books until you seriously get into it!

MAXIMUM RIDE by JAMES PATTERSON
Ugh, I don’t know if I am going to regret talking about this damn series because Ely can vouch for me that this series seriously messes her and I up so badly. Picking Maximum Ride is my way of saying; pick something you’ve read before! Rereads are the best, especially when they are childhood reads that you loved. There are too many books to count in this series and sometimes it is not the best of times, but it will earn a place in your heart after having gone through such an extensive journey with it!


Just like Chami, I think series are the way to go during the holidays. There’s nothing quite like marathoning a series you’ve been looking forward to and falling completely in love with the story and the characters (hopefully). I’m also a big believer of re-reading during the holidays, especially re-reading series that I read as a child.

HARRY POTTER by J.K ROWLING
First and foremost, Harry Potter. I think this is probably pretty self-explanatory, but I’m going to explain my personal reasons anyway. For me, Harry Potter has always meant Christmas for me – I watched the first movie for the first time on Christmas Day when I was six years old. Even more than that though, it’s just one of those series that makes me incredibly happy (and also incredibly sad in parts) but it’s my go to series when I need something I know I’ll love.

A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS by LEMONY SNICKET
A Series of Unfortunate Events is my other go to series. I’m sure those of you who’ve read it will probably understand where I’m coming for, though I admit it isn’t the happiest series in the world. I read these when I was a child as well, so it just brings back all these happy memories of my childhood and reminds me why I fell in love with reading, which is especially great when I’m going through a bit of a reading slump. If you’ve never picked these up, then you definitely should these holidays!

SHATTER ME by TAHEREH MAFI
Finally…Shatter Me.
Did you guys actually think we’d make it through a whole post without mentioning this series? (If you did then you clearly don’t know us at all). We both adore this series more than anything in the whole world. It’s such a great trilogy – the characters are amazing (Warner and Kenji are the best, of course), they’re easy to get through and the writing is absolutely beautiful. Together we’ve probably re-read this series about a hundred times – that’s how obsessed we are. What better way to spend your holidays then re-reading your very favourite series?

So those are our top five choices of series to read leading up to the holidays. Leave us a comment below telling us your favourite books to read during the holidays. If you’re interested in any of the books we’ve mentioned, make sure to check them out on Bookworld and take advantage of their free shipping Australia wide!