17 Aug 2012

REVIEW: The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

Title: The Lying Game (The Lying Game #1)
Author: Sara Shepard
Publication Date: December 7th, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 307
Rating: 3.5/5
Blurb: I had a life anyone would kill for. Then someone did.

I may not remember much, but I know I led a charmed life. Even in death I’m getting something no one else does: an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never got to meet. Now, in order to figure out what happened to me, Emma needs to become me. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Hug my parents good night like she’s their daughter? And can she keep up the charade even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?

Let the lying game begin
Review: Before reading this book, I actually watched a few episodes of the TV show of the same name and so I was expecting a similar sort of plot line. However, the books and the TV show are widely different. Without giving too much away, Sutton (the dead twin in the blurb) isn’t actually dead in the TV show which caused a slight confusion for me.

Anyway, onto the book. Despite being a massive fan of the Pretty Little Liars TV show by the same author, I have never actually read any of her books but had been previously warned about the quality of her writing and plot lines etc. While it is not literary genius, the writing in this book isn’t too terrible and the plot, while it seems a little unbelievable at times, is also rather good. 

Overall, I do plan on finishing this series and watching it in conjunction with the TV show to see the difference between the two and decide which I prefer.