7 Aug 2012

REVIEW: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan


Name: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green and David Levithan
Publication Date: April 6th, 2010
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Format: Paperback
Pages: 310 pages
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: What if you were somewhere you never expected to be and met someone with your name?
What if the girl you didn't think you were interested in started being interested in you?
What if your best friend started writing a musical about your life...and it made you look lame?
*
What if you are depressed?
What if you are in love with someone you've never met?
And what is the story with the guy walking around with your name?
Review: Honestly, this is one of the weirdest books I’ve ever read. It’s one of those books that you read and have absolutely no clue what on earth is happening throughout. In a weird way, I enjoyed it.

That being said, despite only have read one book of John Green’s (The Fault In Our Stars, of course). I expected so much. I was really disappointed, John’s writing is just as amazing (though nowhere near as heartbreaking) and I must admit I did do a little happy dance when I saw the name ‘Hazel’ in there once. So if this book had been written entirely by John Green, it would have gotten five out of five without a doubt.

However, David Levithan’s chapters drove me insane! Basically, there isn’t really any grammar used whatsoever and while that might not bother some people- those chapters just didn’t make any sense to me. This was what really brought down the book for me, but I think I would have enjoyed David’s parts as well if they had been easier to read.

I do think you need to be in a certain mood to read this book. Parts of it are so hilarious that you’ll be rolling around on the floor, other parts are very heavy. Overall, it was interesting.