21 Feb 2015

REVIEW: Eat The Sky, Drink The Ocean

Title: Eat The Sky, Drink The Ocean
Edited: Kirsty Murray, Payal Dharand Anita Roy
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary.
Publication Date: 28 January 2015
Publisher: Allen and Unwin
Format: Paperback
Pages: 227
Rating: 4/5

       

Be transported into dystopian cities and other-worldly societies. Be amazed and beguiled by a nursery story with a reverse twist, a futuristic take on TV cooking shows, a playscript with tentacles - and more, much more. Plunge in and enjoy!

A collection of sci-fi and fantasy writing, including six graphic stories, showcasing twenty stellar writers and artists from India and Australia: Isobelle Carmody, Penni Russon, Justine Larbalestier, Margo Lanagan, Lily Mae Martin, Kuzhali Manickavel, Prabha Mallya, Annie Zaidi, Kate Constable, Vandana Singh, Mandy Ord, Priya Kuriyan, Manjula Padmanabhan, Samhita Arni, Alyssa Brugman, Nicki Greenberg and Amruta Patil.




The fabulous thing about anthologies is that there is so much choice and even if you don’t like one story, you still have the ability to like another because the story can be totally different to the predecessor.  Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean was a truly enthralling read and not only has short stories, but graphic stories as well. They are scattered throughout the book and I think that is such a fantastic idea to break words up with pictures, but not make it consume the whole story.

It is clear that the focus of these stories have a running theme of women, which was enlightening and empowering and not in the overbearing way I feel like lots of books deal with feminism these days. That makes it suitable to mainly any audience.

The graphics throughout the graphic stories were beautiful. I honestly couldn’t stop staring at them and that made my reading experience at least ten times better.

I’ll admit, there are some stories that I did not enjoy entirely and that I felt were too childish but the were many other stories that were quite superb and that I absolutely adored and with stories such as these, it is totally worth it.

And gosh, it so exceptionally refreshing to read stories by both Australian and Indian authors working together! Whoever thought of this idea should be rewarded! It was truly an enjoyable read and has opened me up to so many genres and types of writing. It makes me want to go out right now and buy anthologies and graphics novels.

Say Goodbye to my money!


*Allen and Unwin sent this book to me for honest review and this in no way altars my opinion of the book.