19 Mar 2015

Book Shame #5

Book Shame is a monthly post here on A Book So Fathomless where I pick out four books from my TBR jar, talk about them and then challenge myself to read them before the next post.

I know this is a little early in the month, but I’ve already finished my four books from last month so I figured there was no point waiting.

I liked Who Could That Be At This Hour by Lemony Snicket, and you can see my review here. Unfortunately, I didn’t love Charlotte Gray or Castle Dor as much as I’d hoped. I didn’t techanically read The White Queen but I was doing research on the series and everyone recommends starting with The Lady of the Rivers (which I already own) so I’m going to start that this weekend.

I picked out four really great books for April. I really love that I don’t tend to pick YA novels out of my TBR jar, which means I pick up things that I might not otherwise read for months.

The Mirror Crack’d Side to Side by Agatha Christie
I’m trying to read 12 Agatha books this year and so far I’ve only read one, so I’m happy to have picked this one out. This is one of her books that I know literally nothing about.

The Keys to the Golden Firebird by Maureen Johnson
I love me some Maureen Johnson. Seriously, I adore everything I’ve read by her. Again, no idea what this is about.

Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
It’s been a while since I’ve read any Orwell, but this is probably the book of his that I am most excited for. Also, I’ll be visiting Paris and London in a few months so this should be a really interesting read.

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene
I’m not even going to try and pretend that this isn’t the book I’m most excited for. This a re-read for me as I went through a massive Nancy Drew stage when I was younger. I’m so excited to return to one of my favourite characters.


I’m genuinely excited for all of these. They are all reasonably short books so hopefully I can get through them quite quickly.