29 Jul 2012

REVIEW: The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner


Name: The Dead I Know
Author: Scot Gardner
Publication Date: May 1st, 2011
Publisher: Allen and Unwin
Format: Paperback
Pages: 216 pages
Rating: 5/5
Blurb: When Aaron gets a job at a funeral home, he surprisingly takes to it. But there are dark secrets hidden in Aaron’s subconscious.

He experiences dangerous bouts of sleepwalking and recurring dreams he can’t explain: a lifeless hand, a lipsticked mouth, a man, a gun... Can he piece the clues together and figure out the truth of his past?

Review: I read this book for a sort of book club run by my school library at the moment and before actually borrowing this book, I discussed it with a couple of younger students and then my school librarians and friends. Most of the younger kids disliked this book, while my friends and the librarians raved about it. At the time, I didn’t think much about it but after reading the book I understand why the book club was split.

This book is heavy, in the sense that is mainly about death and while it has some outrageously funny moments in it, it is definitely written for an older audience. Therefore, I found myself immensely enjoying this book and connecting really well with the characters though we shared next to nothing in common.

I think while this book deals with quite heavy themes, the humour and the way it was used made sure that this book wasn’t completely melancholy without distracting away from the main theme of death.

All in all, I would suggest this book to anyone over the age of about fourteen.  



* This book was part of the Book of the Year awards run by the Children's Book Council of Australia (CBCA). To check out their website please click here